sp_TopicIcon
Hummingbirds 2017
RSS
CarolJean
central Wisconsin
67 Posts
(Offline)
May 30, 2017 - 10:13 pm

Late last week I saw my first hummingbird buzz through my yard so I decided to try to put out the feeder. I saw a beautiful little hummer at the feeder this morning.  I can never get my camera fast enough to catch a pic.

I also hung up a nyger seed sock and the gold finches are visiting. 

I have too many cowbirds visiting my feeders and wish they would leave the neighborhood.

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
May 31, 2017 - 4:55 am

So glad that you got your hummers!  Ours arrive around mid-April and stay into October if the weather holds.  

Used to be that I always put out nyger seed for the finches ~ now I never do.  If I keep a good supply of black oil sunflower seeds in the feeders, I have dozens of them all the time.  They are here year round.

My problem is always with squirrels.  They destroy everything.  I finally had to hang all my hummer feeders from the eaves of the house to stop them from draining the feeders every day.  You would think with all the woods around here, they would have better things to do.

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2249 Posts
(Offline)
May 31, 2017 - 6:15 am

CarolJean said
Late last week I saw my first hummingbird buzz through my yard so I decided to try to put out the feeder. I saw a beautiful little hummer at the feeder this morning.  I can never get my camera fast enough to catch a pic.

I also hung up a nyger seed sock and the gold finches are visiting. 

I have too many cowbirds visiting my feeders and wish they would leave the neighborhood.  

The cow birds, starlings, redwings and bluejays do not like safflower seed.  All the song birds like the safflower seed.  It is pricier than mixed seed but worth it if you want to watch the birds up close and not have the pesty birds.  Make sure your feeders are close to your home so you get a view.  After all you are feeding the birds for your 'entertainment'.  They do not need your bird seed to exist.  There is plenty in the wild.  KeyWee is right about hanging feeding from the soffits of your home.  That way critters are less apt to get into them.  I hang a 'tray feeder' with sunflower chips (no mess with hulls) so the squirrels do not help themselves.  Also my jelly feeder is hanging from the soffit so I don't get ants.  Smile

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

GardenLiv: 96