sp_TopicIcon
DECEMBER 2014
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2282 Posts
(Offline)
December 1, 2014 - 7:40 am

One more month closer to Spring.  LaughA day doesn't go by that I don't have the gardens on my mind, in one form or another.  Yesterdays day dreaming was about Red Clover and where it can find a wild planting of this beauty.  A couple of volunteer plants are in my flower beds. Years past I was trying to get rid of them. Silly me, I wasn't knowledgeable about the benefits of Red Clover. Now I include Red Clover Tea into my daily routine.

It is 12F degrees this morning, brrrrrrrrrr.  We still have some snow cover. Like many of you, our temps are yoyoing up & down. Yesterday it was sunny and 45F.  Heat waveConfusedI walked in the woods. I try to get outside a little everyday. Breathing in fresh air. If there is SUN I make sure I take my hood down to soak up some vitamin D.

I also was checking out the animal tracks in the snow.  Lots of critters, but no FOX. At least not yet. As food gets more scarce, during the Winter their hunting territory will broaden. Hopefully bringing them into my yard again. Every time we get snow I check for tracks going into the den. No luck, no tracks.  The Fox urine scent must still be strong in the den because other critters would love to have a ready made home. I think the other critters don't want to chance the Fox coming back or if he has indeed left. What I don't want is a skunk or woodchuck.

Christmas tree is up and decorations are done. I will be doing some cookie baking today. Not nearly as much as I use to, but at least sugar cookies, gingerbread men & spritz. Memories for my Grandchildren.  I love hearing stories that my children tell their children about Christmas' past.  Makes my heart SMILE.

Well off I must go to get my daily exercise routine done and then complete my tasks that are on a list.  YES, I am a list maker. Have a great day my friends. PLEASE don't be shy to post. I would love hearing from you. 

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
December 2, 2014 - 6:00 am

Yes, spring!  Maybe most folks don't realize it is a mere twenty days to the shortest day of the year ...... and then ~ tadaaaaa, days begin to lengthen again.  Everyone else is attuned to the number of shopping days left ~ but not US, right?!  I was just counting down the weeks to hummingbird day (already!).  

Oh yeah, roller coaster weather now, right?  Sunday it was almost 70 degrees and windy.  Felt weird to be putting the wreath up in that weather.  That done and the Fontanini is set up and that's IT for me for decorating.  Now we're back to the 30-40 range and should be into our normal highs-in-the-50s by the end of the week.  No snow on the ground, but it never lasts long around here anyway.  

I still have a second eye surgery set for next week and then I will be good as new and ready for the gardening season.  Maybe I will be better at taking pictures now.  

No seed catalogs yet ~ looking forward to those!

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2282 Posts
(Offline)
December 2, 2014 - 6:38 am

Yes, Kelly I will be glad when we pass the 21st day.  Having each day longer does so much to lift our spirits. You need to work on training a hummingbird to eat from your hand.  It was 10F when I got up this morning.

Are you Italian?  I don't here many people using the word Fontanini?  The nativity set is one of the few decorations I still put out.  Each year I scale down.

Good luck and blessings with your second surgery.  What type did you have? Now is the best time of the year to have any surgeries.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
December 3, 2014 - 7:10 am

Nope, I am not Italian (German, Irish, with a little Polish thrown in for balance).  I have been collecting Fontanini nativity figures for over 30 years and have more than 50 pieces.  Almost every year, I add a new one ~ don't know why, Baby Jesus has a HORDE of worshipers already.  I like these figurines because they look like old wood, but are durable enough so the kids can play with them.  They are NOT cheap though.

Thanks for the kind thoughts on my second surgery.  I am having long-put-off cataract removal and lens replacement ~ pretty common nowadays, and a huge money-maker for the doctors, I am sure.

Ack, wish someone would get rid of all these clouds and more clouds.  Would like to see that round yellow thing again sometime too ~ oh yeah, the SUN (I knew I would remember what it was called). 

davsher
, zone 5
284 Posts
(Offline)
December 3, 2014 - 8:55 am

best wishes and prayers on your eye surgery Kelly, and to let you know the big yellow thing is up and running in southern IowaSurprised my gosh fall not over yet and counting the days till spring! Crymy mom had cataract surgery and a new lens put in when they used stone tools and got along fine. hope the sun finds you today.Cool  

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
December 4, 2014 - 5:47 am

Bwaaahaaaahaaaa, David ~ stone tools, you are funny!  Thanks for all the kind wishes for my 2nd eye surgery.  I am hoping it goes as well as the first.

Nope ~ no sun until, well ...... SUNday heehee.  These constant clouds get on my last nerve, and I am NOT one of those people who get the winter blues.  I just like the sun, darn it.

ladybug
19 Posts
(Offline)
December 5, 2014 - 4:16 am

Best of luck with your surgery Kelly! 

My Mom had a little wooden nativity that my children used to play with.  I had no idea what it was until I read your post. 

I plan to work outdoors on Sunday doing quiet things so I don't disturb the neighbors as it will be our first sunny day in quite some time.  You have to make hay while the sun shines this time of the year.

I received my first seed catalog from Park yesterday and immediately made a cup of cinnamon tea and marked it up with a purple crayon. I need to do a second run before I place my order. 

I don't plan on decorating or baking until our daughter comes home from college.  She likes doing that stuff so I kind of follow her lead now.  We're at the place where we're transitioning from parent/child to a more equitable footing.  Some days she seems all grown up and ready to take charge and other days she curls up with a blanket and stuffed toy watching her old VHS christmas cartoons wanting me to "mother her" with cocoa and cookies.  Interesting times. 

I wish you all a blessed December. May your days be merry and bright.

Zone 6/7 - Virginia

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99