sp_TopicIcon
DECEMBER 2015
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2282 Posts
(Offline)
December 1, 2015 - 6:04 am

Are most of you done gardening for the year?  Or are you in a warm climate and still lucky enough to be planting? I am not planting, but I am still harvesting.  Here in my neck of the woods the last few days have been rainy.  Always nice to have everything watered well before the 'BIG FREEZE' hits us. 

Yesterdays harvest was carrots, beets, peppermint, spearmint, thyme, chives, red veined sorrel and sage. These things all have leaves pushed up around them.  I am a happy lady just to have these few greens.  In the house I have rosemary, lemon verbena and cilantro and use them almost daily.

I am getting my seed order together and need to order soon. The onions are the first to be seeded. Usually in December.  That is a darn long growing season, since I harvest them in September. I think if they had more sun the harvest would be earlier.

I am still keeping busy baking bread, cookies and yogurt weekly.  Sprouts of daikon radish and alfalfa also are a weekly 'to do' list. In another 10 days my sauerkraut will be done fermenting. I should get about 5 quarts.  I then start another batch. I let it ferment for 5 weeks.  Cleaning all the 'nooks & crannies' will take me the entire winter. Hoping to get it all done by Spring.  BECAUSE then gardening is 'top priority'.SmileNext week my Christmas decor will be brought out of storage.  You know you are getting old when every year you bring out LESS & LESS Christmas stuff.  What keeping going through my head is, "Remember Lark you have to put this all away". Laugh

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
December 1, 2015 - 6:35 am

I am still doing garden clean up ~ little by little.  We had great weather over Thanksgiving (upper sixties) and then the rain.  It hasn't stopped since Friday.

I noticed my daylilies waking up again as I cleaned out my flower beds, so I covered them up with leaves and told them to go back to sleep.  We had a pretty tough frost last week so that was the end of the castors and cannas.  I still have a few things blooming but that will end soon too.  

Over Thanksgiving, I put my Fontanini nativity set out (now up to over 50 characters ~ I add a new one each year).  Hung a sparkly wreath on the front porch and got my lighted ceramic tree (that my Mom made back in the 80s) out of the attic.  That's it for Christmas decorating for me.  Then I will do my once-a-year clean-n-dust of my glass china cabinet (the rest of the year I never move the stuff around so it always "looks" clean) and then my holiday festooning is done.

That's about it.  The garden centers will open up again in March so winter is pretty short here.  My garden buds and I plan to do a lunch at one of our houses every few weeks to make the winter pass quickly.  Wish YOU could come!!

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99

Newest Members: