sp_TopicIcon
DECEMBER 2016
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
December 5, 2016 - 6:09 am

Our first snow has finally arrived.  Snow in December is ALWAYS beautiful here in Wisconsin.  Fluffy and wet, so it is clinging to everything.  The yard looks beautiful.

I am very fortunate that we have a warm Fall.  All the garden and yard chores got done.  I even got to put up a small 'Elliott Coleman' style hoop house to protect some of my Winter greens. The kale, dandelion, tatsoi, Japanese mustard and beet greens are tasting sweet again.

What have you been up to?

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
December 6, 2016 - 5:10 am

Just gloomy and rain here ~ no snow yet.  Haven't heard any predictions for what kind of winter we should be expecting so I am going to go with short and sunny.  

My gardens are "sleeping" for the winter and I continue to feed the birds.  Staying busy with our Master Gardeners, meeting to plan ideas for the coming spring and summer.  We graduated 18 people from our 2016 class, so the six of us veterans are beyond excited to have all these new faces.  Plus, we got VERY lucky with such a great group.  We all know what it can be like when one or two want to rule the whole show.  This new group plays SO nicely together!

Lark, I recently met a lady who gave us a wonderful talk on medicinal plants and herbs.  Oh, she was SO knowledgeable, and I immediately thought of you when she spoke.  I am certain the two of you would have a ton of things to talk about ~ you would just love her.  She makes all her own creams, oils, medicines, and tinctures.  I truly enjoyed her speech.

Although it is a nice break for the bod, I never really was in love with winter.  Thankfully, here it is pretty short.  Only four more months until hummingbird return!  In the meantime, I read a LOT, and try to stay active.  My Grandma used to say "If I rest, I rust".

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
December 6, 2016 - 5:31 am

Your master gardeners club sounds so nice.  We need 'young' blood in our garden club. Most of our ladies have slowed down with gardening.  Only a few passionate gardeners that want to learn new techniques and share their gardening experiences.

Sounds like your guest speaker would have 'tickled my fancy'.  I am certainly not an herbalist or claim to know a lot about the medicinal properties of herbs BUT I love learning about what nature has given us.  Many I use in my daily life. Does this lady have a website?

Winter in Wisconsin is way to long for me.  You seem to be in the PERFECT zone.  Next week our temps will be in the 20's and that is the highs for daytime. Brrrrrrrrrrr. 

By the way, I love your RED hair.  It fits your style perfectly.  Hugs to you my friend.  Thank you for being part of my life's journey. 

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
December 9, 2016 - 6:06 am

Wheeee ~ only 18 degrees this morning.  Have to break out the serious Lambeau coat.

The herb lady does not have a website (she is not much into social media) but here is what I do have for her:

Linda Caviness, Creator's Life, email: lindacaviness48@gmail.com

One of the things she told me that she does is working off of a camera shot of a product label.  You can take a picture of the ingredients and she will re-formulate using all natural ingredients.  Cool, right?  I am sure if you emailed her and told her you know me, she would be thrilled to know you!

Thanks for forgiving my vanity-red hair.  I know it is a risky choice, but let's face facts ~ there's no longer the possibility of dying young.  I am past that point now, bwaaahaaahaa.  You are a blessing in my life as well!!

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99

Newest Members: