sp_TopicIcon
NOVEMBER 2015
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2282 Posts
(Offline)
November 1, 2015 - 7:00 am

I am still doing cleanup in the gardens.  Leaves are covering the gardens quickly.  The much needed rain has brought a lot of them down.  Yes, they mat on the garden, but the perennials push through. They eventually decompose and feed the soil. 

We have had only a few days of frost or freeze.  I am still harvesting greens and herbs. 

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
November 3, 2015 - 11:06 am

Good morning Lark,  Thank you for your posts and videos; I always enjoy them.

I finally have all the new bulbs in the ground.  I still have tulips I want to plant in 2 large pots and try to overwinter in my front porch for spring color.  So I'm just getting started at cutting down and cleaning up my beds, so I appreciate the mild weather we are having.  I don't do fall veggie gardening yet but hope to improve on that.  It turns out I still have kale, broccoli, carrots, & kohlrabi coming out of the garden.

I have a question for you Lark.  I planted blue lobelia because I love the plant in your gardens. I let it go to seed last fall in hopes of it reseeding and getting volunteers this year.  So I allowed lots of little plants to grow this season (I have other plants I want to reseed - nigella, foxglove, sea holly,larkspur, coneflower).  My problem is I'm not sure what blue lobelia seedlings look like.  I'm including a photo I took of the seedlings I suspect are the lobelia, can you tell me if they are lobelia?

Also I love your repurpose of the canopy frame.  It makes a great garden entry.  I can't wait to see it covered in blooms.

Thanks for your help.  Carol Jean

ps I was not able to attach a photo; it is too large.  I will have to have my son help me reduce its size.

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
November 3, 2015 - 10:08 pm

new-version-3.jpgImage Enlarger

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2282 Posts
(Offline)
November 4, 2015 - 7:12 am

Yes, Carol Jean that is Great Blue Lobelia.  It should flower for you next year and BEYOND.  I am sure the next owners of my home are going to say, "what the heck was this woman thinking of when designing her garden".ConfusedI do pull a lot of it out every year.

It sounds to me that you have a Fall veggie garden.  You are still harvesting and it is Fall.  I am not growing in a hoophouse after the killing frost.  I just buy organic at our local organic grocery store.  Kills me to pay for it BUT I am thankful that it is available during our LONG COLD Winter and that I can afford it.  It is nice to see that Aldi's is carrying some organics.  I wish the USA would grow more in our country and not farm it out.

Thank you for acknowledging my videos and enjoying them.  It is my way of having you all join me on my gardening journey.

Thank you for stopping by and chatting.  I am hoping now that gardening season is almost done for a lot of us, that more people will start joining in on the conversations.

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
November 28, 2015 - 12:27 pm

Belated Happy Thanksgiving, Lark

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say thanks for all your posts and videos throughout the year.  You've shown me many things I didn't think you could do gardening in Wisconsin.  Watching the evolution of your vegetable garden has been interesting because I like to try new techniques also.  It's good to actually see the success of some and what did not work out.

Thankfully the snow has held off in my area and I have been able to clean up my beds for the year.  Our yard waste drop off site closed last Sunday and I took my last load late that day.  I have one bed to mulch yet but took some days off to celebrate the holiday.  Then time to reorganize the garage so I can park my car in it for the winter months.  From spring until winter the garage becomes my garden shed. 

Thinking ahead to next year (because that's what us gardeners do as soon as we tuck the beds in for winter) I don't have big projects planned.  There are a few areas I want to clean up but I have my smallest spring must-do list in years.  I'm looking forward to putting more effort into my vegetable garden. I bought a second clear tote to make another mini-greenhouse to start more of my own plants.  I want to freeze, can, dehydrate more of my own produce.

Holiday wishes to all the fellow gardeners and hope you all had much to be thankful for also.

Carol Jean

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2282 Posts
(Offline)
November 28, 2015 - 2:53 pm

You are totally welcome, Carol Jean.  Yes indeed I have many things to be thankful for.  One being all the nice people I have met through gardening. We had a great Thanksgiving. I hope yours was yummy too.  Isn't it wonderful how mild our Fall/Winter has been so far? 

I just went out to the compost pile and added a five gallon bucket of coffee grounds and two 5 gallon buckets of shredded paper.  Turned a portion of the pile and low and behold, red wigglers doing their thing.  I bet they wiggled down into the pile real fast after I had put them on top of the pile. LaughOnly a high of 34F today. Brrrrr. But at least there was no wind. 

I have been busy listing my vintage Fisher Price Playsets  and doll houses on craigs list. My Grandkids no longer play with any of this. I have kept these complete sets in excellent condition since 1971. Neither my Son or Daughter show any interest in saving it for their Grandkids.  So I am getting rid of them.  Researching fair prices and putting all the correct pieces in the proper set takes so much time.  Dave & I are working on minimizing our household so when we are ready to put the house up for sale, I won't panic.

Lucky for me that there is a 'non gardening' season. Basement gets cleaned, woodwork gets washed and drawers get vacuumed & organized. Lucky thing I am retired, no rush.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99