sp_TopicIcon
OCTOBER 2015
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2280 Posts
(Offline)
October 2, 2015 - 5:53 am

Autumn, my favorite season.  And the busiest. Still picking veggies and hoping that the first freeze doesn't arrive before my Bell Peppers ripen.  The root crops are safe for awhile.  I am concentrating on getting the cucumbers made into FERMENTED PICKLES and freezing beans and celery.  I need to do my third harvesting of Greek Oregano, Tulsi, Peppermint and Spearmint for drying. I harvested some Comfrey yesterday. Letting it dry for overnight.  Today I will be making an oil infusion.

Clean up is now a priority in the veggie areas. Before I cut down the perennial beds, I try and dead head the remaining aggressive 'reseeders'.  Great Blue Lobelia and Goldenrod are on the top of my 'to do' list.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2280 Posts
(Offline)
October 18, 2015 - 6:49 am

Hard freeze here in my southeastern Wisconsin garden.  It got down to 21F and the warm season veggies are finished.  Time for pulling out and covering the raised beds with mulch, using the LASAGNA METHOD.  The perennial beds are all 'chopped & dropped'.  Feeding the soil and helping eliminate raking and hauling to a compost pile. This next week we will have daytime temps in the 50's and 60's which will make it beautiful for cleanup.

I am happy with this years gardens.  The perennial beds were a little more 'wild' but it made a lot less work for me.  The veggie beds and containers gave me a lot of food. Tomatoes are canned, freezers are full, and the herb shelves are packed with glass jars of dried herbs. Bottled oil infusions are ready for medicinal use. Potato and onion bags are in a dark corner of the basement. And fermented salsa, dill pickles, beets and sauerkraut are stored in an extra refrigerator. Poultices are frozen in single portions in case of sprains or strains.  Wood is stacked & aged in preparation of our LONG WISCONSIN WINTER.  Life is good.  I learned several new things about growing, preparing and health this gardening season. I am a happy & healthy lady.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
October 19, 2015 - 6:01 am

You are AMAZING!  Isn't it wonderful to see all the bounty that comes from your labors?  Nothing like grabbing something from the shelf or freezer when you need it. 

We are about a month away from where you are now.  Temps will be in the upper 70s this week ~ the last gasp of summer.  Had a near brush with 32 over the weekend but it never got that low so annuals have another week or two to flourish and set seed.

Can't say I look forward to winter although it is fairly short here.  But it is still nice to be warm and ready for whatever comes.  

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99

Newest Members: