sp_TopicIcon
OCTOBER 2017
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2280 Posts
(Offline)
October 2, 2017 - 5:51 pm

Beautiful Autumn so far.  Except we are in a drought. No rain in my area for 5 weeks.   I have been watering the veggie gardens.  My harvests have been great. Enough to share with friends and family. 

Keeping the raspberry patch watered weekly.  The berries are plentiful this year. Tomato cucumber plants look really ugly.  BUT still harvesting a lot of cherry and some slicing tomatoes. Seven cucumbers today and a few more in a couple days.  A couple of the vines have flowers and tiny cukes on them.   Romas got some kind of a 'spotted' blight on the tomato itself. Lots of unripened peppers on the bushes.  Slowly turning red.  I have been slicing them in half and 'flash freezing' them as I pick.  This method works for me because I don't have huge harvests at one given time.  This enables me to freeze a handful of green beans or sugar snap or even sliced cucumbers.  YES, I freeze cucumber slices.  YES, they get limp.  I don't mind.  They still taste like a 'home grown' cuke and I don't have to pay $3 for an organic cucumber at the store.

The perennial gardens and wild area are being cut down next week.  Most of the veggie beds will be cleaned up also.  Making room for planting garlic around Halloween.  Some kale, swiss chard, spinach, carrots, dandelion greens, beets and red lettuce will remain in some areas. 

Life is good and gardening is in my blood.  Take care my friends. 

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99