sp_TopicIcon
APRIL 2017
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
April 4, 2017 - 6:21 am

Here in southeastern Wisconsin, March came in 'like a lion' and left 'like a lamb'.  The rain we are getting is really greening up the yard.  I sure need to see the sun.  Cloudy and grey for many days does not do a body good. 

Seed starts in the house are doing good.  I will be transplanting some of the beets into the hoop house.  But also direct seed planting beets and carrots in pots that are in the hoop house.  I will be using the PAPER TOWEL METHOD of GERMINATION for my Sugar Snap Peas and then planting them in the ground under the hoop house.  Succession planting of peas will be done directly in the ground in May.  Spring is in the air and I love the smells of Spring.  Giving thanks having the opportunity to be a gardener.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
April 20, 2017 - 8:54 am

Good morning, Lark.  I feel a bit like I'm still waiting for spring to arrive.  The daffodils and early tulips are blooming but it's been a very dreary, cloudy month.  It seems part of February was warmer.  Lots of rain last night and a high temp in the 40's today.  I foolishly started too many tomato plants too early and spend my time trying to keep them going until May.  I have a question, I'm growing 10 different varieties and it's been interesting to see how they differ.  I was excited to try 2 paste tomatoes, Opalka and Oxheart.  I find the plants are "wimpy" for lack of a better term.  I know you grow Juliet and I have other years and was very satisfied.  Does a paste tomato like warmer temps than we have in Wisconsin in spring?

I am proud, for the first time I did get some sugar snap peas in the ground early.  Hopefully they're not rotting in this cold wet weather.  I have started some kale, broccoli, and kohlrabi inside and plan to try to get them in the garden on a dry day next week. 

I had cataracts removed from both eyes in March and April and that has limited how much I've been able to do outside.  It all went well and I can get at weeding when it dries out.  Also I've had 2 ticks on me in the last 3 weeks (I've never had any previous years.)  So I feel I've been doing lots of doctoring lately.  Speaking of pests - the red lily beetles are out already!  Darn!  I'm planning more dahlias this year because I'm not sure how long I will keep my lilies.  I love my lilies and there are a couple I won't give up on (Lavon especially.)

Lark, I've wanted to tell you I like the new "look" of your site.  Can I submit photos that are a larger file size?  Waiting for your first video tour of the year!!

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
April 20, 2017 - 9:09 am

I'm practicing submitting photos.  I figured out how to reduce the file size (I'm not a computer wizard.)  If it works, I'm making notes so I can do it again!!IMG_5829-Copy.JPGImage Enlarger

Katie
Wisconsin, zone 5
32 Posts
(Offline)
April 20, 2017 - 9:03 pm

Hey there, I've been watching the garden tour videos! Where do you find the dixieland grass you have? I love how it pops out of the garden, even from the back.

Katie

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
April 21, 2017 - 7:08 am

Good morning Katie.  Thank you for joining my website/forum.  The Dixieland grass WAS a favorite of mine.  All the clumps I had have died a few years ago when we had a severe winter.  I have decided not too plant it again since I am trying to make my gardens more maintenance  free as I grow older.  I purchased it from a local gardener.  It was my absolute favorite grass. It brightened up the garden.  Have fun creating your own paradise.  It is wonderful how I learn something new every year about gardening.  Nature is so good for our mind, body and Spirit.  Take care.  Smile

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
April 27, 2017 - 10:47 am

This is what's happening in my yard at 10:30 am on April 27, 2017.

Mother Nature, not nice!IMG_5855-Copy.JPGImage Enlarger

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99