sp_TopicIcon
JUNE 2017
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
June 1, 2017 - 7:43 am

BRRRRRRRRRR, here in Wisconsin.  Last night 47 F.   The warm season crops are not liking this weather.  They won't start growing until the soil heats up.   Shows me that I don't have to be in a rush to get the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and other summer crops out too early.  They just sit there having cold roots.  The only thing is that the pots I tomatoes are in need transplanting...root bound.  So next year I need to start them later OR trans plant them into larger pots and go through the bother of taking them in & out every day.ConfusedWhich can become old really fast. 

Happy gardening my friends.  What do you want to talk about or hear?

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
June 21, 2017 - 9:05 am

This is the first day of summer but my post is about last Sunday so it was still spring! I completed a big project on Sunday and I want to share it with you.  This is going to be a long post and I promise to not do it often.  Lark, I want to share all the gritty details and thought processes with another gardener who might appreciate them.

The first photo shows the NE back corner of 60 X 150 city lot from last fall. It is the corner of the yard I store all the plastic/chicken wire cages that I use to protect my plants/tulips from the rabbits, where I store extra soil, mulch, and started a leaf mulch bin.  Last fall I clean cut many of my lilacs (they are a lot of work and get overgrown quickly) and this would give my vegetable garden much more light and allow me to expand my vegetable garden.  The photo shows my leftover wood mulch, some of  the lilac stumps, and my 5' X 5' deep mulch bed.w.JPGImage Enlarger

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
June 21, 2017 - 9:17 am

The next photo shows how a project always gets worse before it gets better.  I have an 8' fence along the back border that I share with my neighbor.  We put it up 16 years ago and all the posts had to be replaced.  I bought materials and the neighbor did the work.  But all the stuff I had stuck in the back corner had to be moved.  Then my folks were kind enough to visit with their pick up truck and was able to pick up 1 cubic yard of 50/50 mix (half compost, half top soil) for me without the $40 delivery charge. Family also helped wheel barrow it all back to the corner. I definitely wanted to keep all the old posts to use in my new veggie beds.  My new soil decided to grow a crop of some grain too!  I had to finish the new bed on the east side of the house that I started last year so this area just waited.x.JPGImage Enlarger

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
June 21, 2017 - 9:29 am

The third photo shows the process of redesign.  The deep mulch bed had a foot of compost in the bottom. I moved my compost bin and there was great compost in the bottom of that too.  I didn't have a spot for the half-composted leaves so many just went in the paths for mulch.  I have gardened in the containers for several years but I moved them to where the lilacs were so I can keep cutting/digging the lilac sprouts until they hopefully (ha ha) give up growing.  I had already taken all the measurements in the fall and during the winter designed where I wanted the new beds and what sizes would work.xx.JPGImage Enlarger

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
June 21, 2017 - 9:40 am

The FINAL photo (I said it was going to be long) shows what the area looked like Sunday night.  I had leftover compost so I made one of the bins I planned for potatoes into the compost storage area. I built a box with scrap lumber to store the extra 50/50 mix.  I  finally got all my tomato plants in the ground.  I planted sugar snap peas in the 2' X 10' bed along the fence.  I know it'll probably get too hot but I'm hoping I'll get some peas. I'm trying what Patrick at One Yard Revolution and you do and plant different vegetables in each bed.  Looking forward to mulching the beds this fall and doing no till/dig gardening in these beds next spring. Thanks for indulging my need to "show and tell."y.JPGImage Enlarger

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
June 23, 2017 - 7:41 am

Carol Jean, your hard work has paid off.  The garden looks fantastic.  Love the trellising fence.  I am also following 'somewhat' in Patrick's footsteps.  I planted my kale, swiss chard and broccoli in several different areas.  Hoping that the cabbage moth gets confused.  I like that you have flowers planted in the garden area.  Keep the pictures coming.  I enjoy seeing the progress of your new beds.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
June 23, 2017 - 9:22 am

Thanks for your kind words.  I can't take credit for the lattice fence, my cranky neighbors (that's a long story) of years ago put up the fence.  The property next door has been door has been empty since last December (the current owner is in jail on "high volume" drug charges - I truly live in a nice quiet neighborhood) so I added birdhouses to the posts.  If the next owner doesn't like them I will take them down. But the yard has not been mowed even once and it is going to seed and I hope it doesn't "reseed" my gardens.  The flowers are my perennial gardens that I have my vegetable gardens behind.  The attached photo is from last year; it shows the border of tall lilacs that I cut down last fall. My first vegetable garden (12' X 16') has the simple pergola (easier trellising) and cattle panels.  The new bed is to the left/north of it tucked behind my "sunny" perennial border.x-copy.JPGImage Enlarger

Katie
Wisconsin, zone 5
32 Posts
(Offline)
June 25, 2017 - 7:21 pm

Carol that's gorgeous!!

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616