sp_TopicIcon
MARCH 2016
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
March 20, 2016 - 5:30 pm

The first day of Spring in Wisconsin is chilly.  High of 45 BUT sunny and very little wind.  CLEAR TOTES were on the deck. The warm season plants, cover on.  The cool season plants covers OFF.  Hoop house is up with a row cover also over the tiny plants.  Down in the 20's tonight. Brrrrrrrrrr.  Spring is here. I really don't want any surprise snowfalls. 

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
March 24, 2016 - 12:49 pm

Here in central Wisconsin we have received over 8" of snow. What happened to spring??

Tonight is supposed to get down to 16 degrees so at least the snow will protect all the bulbs and perennials that were coming up.

My indoor seedlings are doing well.  I haven't had many sunny days so they've been under lights inside.  The peppers planted in January are as tall as the clear tote; getting the lid on to take them outdoors will soon be a problem.  Lark, do you think a canopy made of clear plastic can replace the lid?

My tomato seedlings need to be transplanted soon and I am running out room in clear totes. Hopefully the cool weather crop seedlings can be transplanted outdoors soon.  I will have to devise some sort of added protection for them.

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
March 24, 2016 - 4:13 pm

You are well on your way.  Yes, I know when the seeds are started early they outgrow the regular sized CLEAR TOTES.  I bought a couple of extra tall totes just for that reason. One for the peppers and one for the  tomatoes.  Yes, I think a canopy will work.  If you could use something flexible (a mini blind slat) to tape to the tote and arch it over and tape the other side.  Kind of like a hooped greenhouse. Then put some clear plastic over the arches.  Wella!  Mini greenhouse that is taller.  I would use the plastic from my dry cleaning or some other clear plastic that is light weight so it doesn't collapse the mini blinds.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
March 28, 2016 - 6:16 pm

Lark, thank you for the mini blind suggestion for hooping the clear tote.  I have many and they should work very nicely. Could still use a few more days of sunshine!

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99

Newest Members: