sp_TopicIcon
MAY 2015
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
May 1, 2015 - 5:51 am

For most gardeners this is the busiest time of the year.  I am no exception. I have a list of not only what to do for the day BUT, it is itemized in order of urgency. SurprisedLaughI know you are thinking OC, this lady is bonkers.  The funny thing is I think I am getting over OC.

As you may know, as of last Fall I am doing the 'chop & drop' method of gardening.  You may also know that this messy look bothers my OC obsession. FrownYesterday I was weeding the edges of the perennial garden. Yes, I did pick out a few messy looking cuttings.  But that is it, the rest of the 'chop & drop' is left lying. Since we are low on moisture, the 'chop & drop' is helping retain what is in the ground. The plants are really popping up. It is cool here and that helps with the Spring bulbs blooming longer. After our long Winter, the sights & sounds of Spring really warm my heart.

The in and out of my CLEAR TOTE MINI GREEENHOUSES is getting tiring. The plants are huge.  Probably another 3 weeks before I can plant the warm season plants.  Next week I will be planting the cool season plants. I will need to cover them with chicken wire for awhile since the birds love my LASAGNA METHOD of amending the soil.  They peck and scratch in all the decaying leaf litter pulling out worms.

The weather person is promising the next week will bring warmer temps, 60's.  SmileI am a happy lady. HAPPY GARDENING friends. Stay healthy.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
May 22, 2015 - 8:30 am

Good morning Gardening Friends.  Tonight should be the last night that the temps are below 50F.  That means my warm season veggies can be planted.  If we do get a frost warning I can cover for a night or two (better than weeks on end). Which means I will have less plants to bring in and out.  The tomatoes are HUGE and need to be planted immediately.  The peppers still have room to grow in the pots, so I will not be planting them into the gardens today.

I heard that Poblano Peppers are really yummy, have any of you grown them?  I couldn't find Poblano Pepper seeds at my local nursery so I bought two plants.  If we like them I will save seed this Fall and have an ample supply.

Weeding is an on going task, but not as bad as years past.  May be it has something to do with the chop and drop cover.  I think they are hiding. We need a good soaking rain here in my part of Wisconsin. We are way below normal, as many of you are. 

Time to take all my plants out onto the deck AND then start planting in my gardens.Smile

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
May 24, 2015 - 6:00 am

Never grown poblanos but I think we planted some in the new veggie demo garden at the extension office.

You can have our rain and then some.  We had 4" last week and more to come this week.  Yards look great but "sound" terrible.  We are having a cicada racket that you have to try to ignore or go crazy.  There are everywhere and SO loud.  

Hey, I went over to Val's and asked her for the spider daylilies (yellow-orange) that I tried to send you before.  She is going to bring me some as soon as it is all right to dig.  I will let you know when I send them out.  Thinking about you again, garden-pal!  Hope all is well with the folks.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99

Newest Members: