sp_TopicIcon
MAY 2017
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2281 Posts
(Offline)
May 2, 2017 - 6:20 am

RAIN, RAIN and more RAIN.  Windy and cold. BUT no snow or freeze so far.  The gardens are becoming very lush and so are the weeds.CryThe cold weather crops are doing nicely. With all the rain it makes weeding easier. With the colder temps the bloom times are lasting longer.  I am thinking the bug population will be high this year.

I am recovering from a fractured right wrist, 1-18-17. I am right handed.  I healed nicely BUT now have severe carpel tunnel in this wrist.  The fracture created inflammation and then the therapy strengthening made it worst. I had carpal tunnel on this wrist years ago.  I couldn't even hold a pencil without severe pain.  But with the help of a wonderful massage therapist I healed without surgery.  I must be smart and listen to my body.  Patience Lark.  Something I have been working on.SmileTrying not to let the gardens get out of control.  This brings to my and Dave's attention, when is this property too much for us to handle?  We will figure it out.  

Have a good day my friends.   

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
May 2, 2017 - 1:57 pm

It seems we're finally going to get a break from all the rain.  Today is still cold and windy but Wednesday will reach 60 (cross my fingers.)  I'm dividing some of my plants and sharing with the Master Gardeners for their plant sale.  So I worked in my gardens this past weekend until my feet got too cold.  They are coming Wednesday and they help dig and pot up the plants.  It'll be fun to have them tour my yard because the color is good this year.  Some of my tulips actually multiplied instead of disappearing.  I'm thinking it's the decent amounts of rain we got the last two summers.

My house is full of plants and seedlings.  I planted cosmos, zinnias, bachelor buttons, and marigolds to get a small head start and they sprouted 3 days later!  Scrambled to get them under lights.  I'm working at hardening off my kale, broccoli, and kohlrabi to get them out in my veggie garden.

Lark, so sorry to hear about your fracture.  I hope it improves and you can work in your beds comfortably very soon.  Once it gets sunny and warm it will be difficult to be patient.

Sharing just a bit of my blooms on May 1.IMG_5857-Copy.JPGImage Enlarger

Katie
Wisconsin, zone 5
32 Posts
(Offline)
May 2, 2017 - 10:45 pm

Hi All! The sun finally came back out again today! Lark, I'm feeling the urge too! I have a lot of plants that I need to get in the ground, it's going to be hard to be patient these next couple of weeks!  I got some work done in prepping some of my front garden areas and trimming some overgrown bushes this past weekend.  It was nice to work outside a bit, but it was cold and rainy, and eventually I had to stop when the rain started.  Here are some pics of my backyard/blank canvas I was telling you about.  I'm hoping to fill it in over the coming years!  On the right side of the first pic, I want to have a garden stretched along the whole sidewalk and in the middle area, I'll put an archway that leads out to the sidewalk.  Lots of work to do!

Pic-2-1.jpgImage EnlargerPic-3-1.jpgImage Enlarger

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2281 Posts
(Offline)
May 4, 2017 - 7:05 am

Yesterday we had a FREEZE.  Most of my perennials, trees and shrubs can take it.  What did get hit and damaged a little were my Japanese Painted Ferns...again.  Last year they got hit also and it took them weeks and weeks to recovery BUT they did bounce back.  Later the sun decided to shine for a little while. 

I pruned dead wood from roses, hydrangeas, Japanese maples and Pygme barberries.  Also pulled 'seed heads' off of grasses that are in the gardens.CrySo frustrating.  But I remind myself that starting this year I am leaving go of CONTROL (somewhat) of the garden plants. This is a hard habit for me to break.  I call this 'self inflicted' anxiety. I need to do this to make my later years of gardening a happy journey.  Do any of you have this problem?

Since my wrist is still in the healing mode, I am limiting the time I work in the gardens and TYPE.LaughHave a wonderful day my friends.

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
May 5, 2017 - 5:47 am

Oh crap ~ we had the same thing happen to us last month (our "supposed" last freeze is 4/15, yours is 5/15) and YES, it can be very anxiety-causing.  I have also learned to let go (it takes hard work to do this:) and have tried to adopt the "sink-or-swim" mindset.  Nature just IS and we sometimes have to let it BE.  What prevails, prevails.  But again (and I can't stress this enough) this is why I more often err on the side of one zone lower when acquiring new plants (NOT that I need any more plants, my word!).  NO MORE do I attempt delicate or tender perennials not suited for zone 7a or below.  I am all about more bang for less stress and go with hardier choices NO matter how much I love a poor-choice plant.  Live and learn.

And Lark, at our age (haha) we need to make low maintenance choices ~ more enjoyment for less work, right?  I surely hope this is your LAST freeze and it's onward and upward into real spring!!

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
May 13, 2017 - 9:49 am

Yesterday I got to do my flower shopping.  I have a local nursery that has gorgeous stock at very reasonable prices.  They are open only about 6 - 7 weeks beginning in early May and sell out by June.  I had a strict budget this year but I still had lots of fun picking out plants.

Last May I started a new bed on the east side of my house to help correct a drainage problem causing water in my basement during big storms.  It has taken a year to get finished. (I have problems working in the heat and humidity of summer.) But I finally was able to put in place the arbor on Friday.  I still have lots of annuals and vegetables to plant in the bed.IMG_5894-Copy.JPGImage Enlarger

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2281 Posts
(Offline)
May 13, 2017 - 6:39 pm

Carol Jean, the arbor looks lovely.  The birdhouses are a very cute addition.  I remember that you have a lot of seedlings to plant.  Have fun and HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY.  Enjoy.

Katie
Wisconsin, zone 5
32 Posts
(Offline)
May 16, 2017 - 2:54 pm

I've planted most of my bare root plants I got and I am hardening off my seedlings! Also, my new veggie garden is prepped and ready to go once I get the chicken wire around it! My tomatoes that got freezer burnt aren't looking great but I have new seedlings that are about 2-3 weeks old, so hopefully I can get some succession plantings going! Im so happy planting season is FINALLY here! We got some pretty bad thunderstorms and good sized hail last night but my plants all seemed to do ok, and I brought in my seedlings for the night so they were protected. Happy planting everyone!

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99

Newest Members: