sp_TopicIcon
AUGUST 2015
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2280 Posts
(Offline)
August 1, 2015 - 7:54 am

August is starting with heat and no rainfall.  It has been 2 weeks since our last good rain. I did water the gardens and they are looking much better.  Containers need daily watering.

The veggie gardens are producing great. Harvesting is a daily routine. Herbs are being picked and dried about every other day.  I am going to have a large amount of dried herbs for my winter supply.  I am freezing beans, sugar snap peas, kohlrabi and beets. Healthy additions to my diet are making of yogurt and bread.  I am also fermenting sauerkraut and salsa.  Now that the green beans are producing a lot, I am going to try and make fermented dilly beans.  I will also be trying to make fermented dill pickles when my cucumber plants start to produce, which should be very soon.

Gardening is GREAT.  I have to enjoy this Summer weather because it won't be lasting too much longer.  Enjoy the day my friends.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2280 Posts
(Offline)
August 29, 2015 - 7:16 am

Autumn is in the air. Nights have been cool, low 50's. We had a BEAUTIFUL all night steady rain.  The landscape needed this. But back to the upper 80's - low 90's for the next week.  That should accelerate the harvesting of my tomatoes, cucumbers and beans.

This time of the year is one of the busiest for me.  Herb drying is a priority.  Since we had this beautiful rain to wash all the herbs, I will harvest my herbs 24 hours later.  This will allow them to be dry before harvesting them.

Picking cucumbers, tomatoes and beans is usually an every other day task. For me canning the tomatoes at their prime ripeness is a plus for taste and health benefits. Oven drying the tomatoes is another way I preserve them for the Winter season.  I don't freeze my tomatoes because I don't have room for them.

Fermenting sauerkraut is another task that I have taken on. Not hard to do and oh so beneficial to my 'gut'. I have a quart jar of pickles fermenting now and I will be tasting them in four more days. That will be a two week ferment.  This is the first time I have done it, so I will see if we like the taste and the crispness. I left the pickles whole, next time I will cut them in half.  Trial & error.Confused

I hope to start getting my plants that I bring indoors for the Winter season DEBUGGED.  I don't want to be rushing around when they say a 'frost' is coming. Oh there is so much for us northern gardeners to do in preparation of our LONG WINTER. 

Stay healthy my friends and have a good day.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99