sp_TopicIcon
AUGUST 2017
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2280 Posts
(Offline)
August 2, 2017 - 7:03 am

"Summer time and the livin is NOT easy. Fish are jumpin and the tomatoes are high"... Laugh

This time of year is when you can tell a passionate gardener from a 'fair weather' gardener.  With the high heat and humidity, it is challenging to keep the flower gardens blooming and powdery mildew controlled.  Keeping up with the veggie gardens, picking and preserving takes a toll on us 'older' gardeners...BUT we do it .  Waking up after a good nights sleep, sun rising, dew on the grass and gardens, spider webs sparkling and the fragrance of Summer in the air.  Life doesn't get any better than this for me. Pacing ourselves is the key.  HAPPY GARDENING my friends.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
August 2, 2017 - 12:38 pm

Yesterday I took many cut flowers and 3 arrangements to our local fair to exhibit in open class.  Today was judging and my things did well again.  I received more thirds than I usually do but the garden has been heat stressed.  I do this as a fun thing for myself even if it is stressful getting them to the fair.  I have a good friend who helped transport them and put up with my stressed out crankiness.  Today I picked enough cucumbers to make a big cucumber salad.  Going to make a large kettle of vegetable soup too ( I love leftovers - cooking once - eating three times.) And were supposed to get some rain tomorrow; my yard and perennials really need it.

I'm waffling between the passionate and fair weather gardener.  Trying to keep up with everything.  With the cooler temps predicted it would be so much more comfortable working outside so I hope it doesn't rain all the time.

I love your description of your morning walks; I aspire to add that to my mornings.IMG_6179-Copy.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_6156-Copy.JPGImage Enlarger

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2280 Posts
(Offline)
August 2, 2017 - 6:39 pm

Love your arrangements. I especially like the basket.  How did you keep them looking so fresh?

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
August 5, 2017 - 2:36 pm

Thanks for the compliment.  I'm sure you know some of this information.  But I pick/cut my flowers very early in the morning when they are well hydrated.  Quickly get them in water and bring in to a cool, not sunny spot.  I put together the arrangements only a few hours before I have to leave.   I use the wet floral foam with water treated with some floral water conditioner.  I find astible leaves, hosta leaves, and fern leaves don't wilt in arrangements.  You can see the flowers that do well in floral foam. (I don't use balloon flower - the stems leak a sap; Love in a Mist will wilt; day lilies only last a day.)  If you're using flowers with woody stems, I smash the end a little.  That seems to help them absorb water.  I like to make arrangements for friends, family at Christmas.  Evergreens work really well and look good for weeks.  I have to buy the flowers but carnations, mums, and alstromaria will look good for 10 days to 2 weeks.  The packages of flowers usually have a date on them and I look for the freshest.  In the winter it's easy to find a cool, kind of dark place to keep them.  I have an unheated room and staircase I use.  I don't have any professional training, I've just learned through practice.

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
August 9, 2017 - 1:13 pm

I had my first substantial harvest of tomatoes last night. Plan to make my first batch of salsa today.  I'm also freezing pea pods and green beans today. I've been impressed with my snap peas this year.  I starting picking the end of June and I had this good sized harvest yesterday.  I still have some blossoms and hope to get 2 more smaller pickings.IMG_6241-Copy.JPGImage Enlarger

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2280 Posts
(Offline)
August 10, 2017 - 7:03 am

WOW CarolJean, this is very impressive.  This is exactly why we do veggie gardening.  It is BEAUTIFUL.  It is great and amazing that you are still harvesting from your Spring pea planting.  Are they in partial shade?  My late season planting of peas are about 18" high.  Sure hope I get a harvest before a freeze hits.  Thanks for sharing and posting pictures.  Pictures say a THOUSAND words. 

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99