sp_TopicIcon
JULY 2016
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2269 Posts
(Offline)
July 14, 2016 - 6:48 am

Oh how I wish Summer lasted longer in Wisconsin.  Plants are lush, veggies are producing and I so enjoy the sounds of nature.  BUT we have been hot and need rain.  For some reason the Kettle Moraine (glacier area) gets missed by most of the rain.  If we don't get rain in a week, we are in DROUGHT conditions.  I have now started to water the perennial beds.  Of course I have to water pots daily.  The raised beds are heavily mulched and need to be watered only weekly. That isn't enough, GOD waters much better, getting every nook and cranny.   HAPPY GARDENING my friends.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
July 17, 2016 - 5:57 am

Hope you get RAIN today ~ looks like it's heading your way!!

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
95 Posts
(Offline)
July 19, 2016 - 12:03 am

Glad to hear you did get some rain.  Not looking forward to the predicted 90 degree temps this week!

My spring was busy so I didn't plant the garden until early June.  I will be picking my first Oregon Sugar Pod II peas tomorrow.  I will have green beans and cucumbers in about 10 days. (Yeah - cucumber salad.)  I started my tomato seeds on March 5; I'm very happy with the plants but none of the tomatoes are close to ripening.  I bought kossack kohlrabi starts and will begin to harvest them soon.  The local farmers market was selling kohlrabi for 50 cents a piece and I was thinking that's the same cost as my starts.  The kossack will be larger than the ones I bought and they turned out to be woody.  So it's still better to grow your own.  And I'm going to try to grow my own starts next year.

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
95 Posts
(Offline)
July 23, 2016 - 12:48 pm

Hello Lark,

Did you get more rain this week?  I saw the reports of flooding in Madison and hope some of the rain made it as far as you.  I'm going to have a storm come through in the next few hours, so I didn't water the vegetable garden.  I have picked pea pods and kohlrabi and the cucumbers and green beans are very close.  I have a couple Sweet Olive tomatoes and a Rutgers tomato ripening.  This morning I picked my first zucchini.  I planted 4 different varieties of pole beans and it's been interesting observing the different growth patterns.  I haven't seen many more Japanese beetles, knock on wood. 

Lots of fresh veggies - yay!

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2269 Posts
(Offline)
July 23, 2016 - 4:44 pm

Yes, we got rain earlier this week and it is raining now.  Nice and steady for the last couple of hours.  I am doing the happy dance. Sounds like you are going to have a steady supply of crops real soon.  So much fun harvesting. 

My Japanese Beetles are getting less.  I haven't seen any cucumber beetles lately.  The cabbage moth is also slowing down a bit.  Unless the Mom's are waiting for the eggs to hatch.  Hopefully my birds are eating the insects and eggs. 

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

GardenLiv: 96