sp_TopicIcon
JULY 2017
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
July 7, 2017 - 7:06 am

Good morning gardening friends.  My gardens and yard are doing very nicely this year.  We had a rainy Spring and steady Summer rains.  The plants, including weeds, are loving the warm/hot weather. 

For some reason YouTube is not allowing my videos to be automatically transferred to my website.  If you are interested is garden walks, please visit my YouTube channel,  LARKS GARDEN .

The aggressive plants need thinning.  I don't mean just 'pulling out'.  They need a shovel.  The phlox seems to want to conquer the whole garden.  028.JPGImage Enlarger033.JPGImage Enlarger035.JPGImage Enlarger

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
July 8, 2017 - 10:36 am

Good morning, Lark.  I always so enjoy your videos but I don't comment often enough.  I took notes about what I wanted to share.  Thanks for including the veggie gardens.  I get so many good ideas from your gardens.  I'm growing telegraph cucumbers this year. I appreciated your tips about growing and propagating succulents.  You make it seem very simple.  I also wanted to know the name of the perennial you dead headed in the video and you commented it keeps blooming.  I'm pretty sure it's the burgundy flower in the middle photo.  Your gardens seem about 5-7 days ahead of mine which makes sense since I'm about 150 miles north of you.  And my gardens seem about a week behind last year.  Facebook will show you your posts from a year ago and this morning was lots of beautiful daylilies.  I have only 4 or 5 blossoms in the yard today.

I've had to do a lot less watering this year too.  My yard got 2 3/4" rain in the last 3 days.  The vegetable garden is growing fast now.  My third try at planting yellow wax beans was not a huge success either.  Excited for what I should be harvesting in the next couple weeks.

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
July 12, 2017 - 3:37 pm

I am constantly 'deadheading' Knautia, burgundy flower and Rose Campion, a fushia flower.  Last night we had some MAJOR rain.  We were out of town and came back to gardens that are exploding with growth.  I need to take pictures of the veggies.  They are amazing so far this year.  Raspberries are coming in really good.  I am picking Japanese Beetles twice daily at least.

Katie
Wisconsin, zone 5
32 Posts
(Offline)
July 18, 2017 - 10:20 pm

Hello all! First I wanted to thank Lark for inviting me and my guests to her lovely home and giving us a great tour of her beautiful property! I hope to have something even half as beautiful as your yard some day! I wish I had more time to spend on some of the ideas I have, especially after the inpsiration from Larks yard!

I've been making progress on my re-landscaping project. My west-facing side of the house has 2 newly planted perennial gardens, some with store bought, some with my very own grown from seed perennials. Oh, and thank you for the plants you shared,  Lark! The hostas looked beautiful on the south east facing side of my house where there is some shade from larger trees! And i planted the Canna's in a pot on my deck, they are growing fast! I'm going to bring them in for the fall. I broke down and went and bought a smoke Bush for my front yard, I couldn't resist, I just think they are so beautiful! I think I'm done planting new for the season.  I've been kept pretty busy with keeping the weeds down in the new areas.

I saw a monarch momma lay some eggs on a milkweed plant the other day. I'm thinking of bringing the eggs in to raise them. I thought it would be a fun thing for my kids to watch and then release the butterflies. 

I'm with you Carol, I watch the YouTube videos every week, I so look forward to them, but I don't comment on them. It's my weekly dose of inspiration to what my garden could be someday and I've learned SO MUCH from watching them. 

(Sorry for the long post 😊)

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
July 19, 2017 - 7:10 am

You are very welcome, Katie.  I enjoyed having all of you visit.  Please give Ann another "THANK YOU" for the basket.  I had wanted and now have a HARVESTING BASKET... it is perfect.  Katie, I have the ceramic KOI in my room of meditation.  They are very special to me.  They symbolize strength of purpose, courage, good luck, abundance, preservation and advancement spiritually.  THANK YOU my friend.  The gaillardia is planted.  You would not believe how root bound they were.  Solid roots, no soil.  I will save seed from them and scatter around the mother plants. 

The monarches have been around a lot.  I will have to take time to look for eggs.  Eleven baby turkeys and two moms have been visiting the gardens daily.  My Granddaughters loved seeing them. 

I don't mind long posts at all.  I wish more people would take the time to talk to me and others here on my website.

Please keep me posted on Jodi's baby arrival.

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
99 Posts
(Offline)
July 31, 2017 - 2:24 pm

On this last day of July I feel it's been a good month.  The gardens are exploding and it's feeling a little overwhelming.  There is always something that needs picking, planting (fall garden), staking, pruning, and watering.  My beans are just getting going strong and I have several succession plantings so hopefully there will be weeks of beans. Soon there will be enough cucumbers to make some refrigerator pickles. Salsa making won't be far behind.  But today and tomorrow I'm spending my time getting ready to exhibit flowers at the Wisconsin Valley Fair in open class.  It's something I enjoy but it is a couple stressful days.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99

Newest Members: