sp_TopicIcon
JUNE 2015
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2269 Posts
(Offline)
June 21, 2015 - 6:39 am

Hello Summer. The longest daylight hours. It always seems funny when it is still light out when I go to bed. But I will take it over the LONG days of Winter. 

Weekly rain and mild weather makes me happy and the gardens.  Early mornings are my favorite.  Door open, birds singing and the sound of the trickling water fountain. Dappled sunlight on the garden is so pretty.  After my routine of lemon water and computer I will walk the gardens with a cup of tea in hand. Life is good.

The 'chop & drop' method of soil amending is working fine in the gardens. In the perennial beds the debris is hidden under foliage. In the veggie beds this time of the year, I am using grass clippings and Comfrey.  Weeding is on going in the perennial beds. A lot is hidden by the thick & close plantings.  I mostly weed the edges and the stone paths. Lately it seems that I am falling behind in deadheading, which can result in more plants next year.SmileI am trying to simplify my gardening chores in order to stay in our home for years to come.  

The veggie gardens are coming a long nicely.  All except the cucumbers. Disease and bugs have gotten to all my plants. I have some new seeds started and hope that they grow better than the present ones.  I have harvested one cucumber and a couple others are on the ugly vines.  My tomato plants look great. My starting them early has given me great results.  I have RIPE cherry tomatoes and a lot of HUGE green ones.  Several are starting to 'blush' and I have hopes of harvesting a couple tomatoes in about 10 days. We'll see. I am hoping.LaughI am harvesting a lot of greens and 'wild weeds'.  YUMMY.  Radishes are o.k. Some of my herb leaves are being ruined by the cucumber beetle or the disease that it is spreading.  Harvesting Chamomile every day is time consuming but with it for my tea supply.

Off I go to have my morning walk.  Have a great day my friends. Kiss

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2269 Posts
(Offline)
June 23, 2015 - 12:09 pm

Yesterdays storm damage.  Huge clean up today.  002.JPGImage Enlarger006.JPGImage Enlarger

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
95 Posts
(Offline)
June 23, 2015 - 1:27 pm

Lark, so sorry to see your damage.  It looks like the blueberries were missed but did it fall on the cattle panel arch/arbor in the bog garden?  In Wausau we received about 1.1 inches of rain in the morning and the evening storm fell apart before it got to us.  The winds didn't damage anything in my yard. 

Mother nature is making gardening a challenge for you this year with the cucumber beetles on the attack and now the tree down.  In our area something is eating on green bean leaves. 

I'm late with many of my gardening tasks.  I used the clear tote greenhouse method this spring and for the first time raised some tomato plants from seed.  I grew Mortgage Lifter and had several to share with friends and family.  My plant is about 3-4 ft tall and has tomatoes setting on.  The rest of the veggie garden went in late and I just planted some grow bags (a new project I'm trying); I'm going to think of it as succession planting.

My gardens were chosen to be part of the Master Gardeners Garden Walk on July 10 and 11 so I have long lists of projects I want to complete before then.  The rainy and then humid days have slowed me down.  The plants are growing very well with the extra moisture and now everything is crowded. I'll have lots of dividing to do this fall.

Once again, sorry to see your damage.

Carol Jean

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2269 Posts
(Offline)
June 23, 2015 - 6:24 pm

Yes, the cattle panel arch got hit a little.  How did the MINI GREENHOUSE TOTES work for you?

What a wonderful year to be chosen for the garden tour.  The weather has been great for flowers. Especially perennials.  Have fun with the tour.  You should be very proud. Take some pictures and let us see.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

GardenLiv: 96