sp_TopicIcon
SEPTEMBER 2016
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2279 Posts
(Offline)
September 15, 2016 - 7:20 am

It is technically still Summer, but Autumn is in the air.  Night time temps are in the 50's. My favorite time of the year.  A lot of work needs to be done in the next several weeks getting the gardens ready for the LONG Wisconsin Winter.  The gardens are still showing their beautiful colors.  The veggie gardens are still giving me a great supply of food.  Blight on the tomatoes is a given this time of the year.  Container tomatoes were the first hit with the blight and are now removed.  The tomatoes in the west raised garden beds are still producing nicely. Preserving the veggies is in full swing.  Sharing is a must because Dave and I cannot eat all that is produced. I get on my bike (with baskets) and go to several peoples homes in our neighborhood and share my labor of love...ORGANICALLY. 

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
September 16, 2016 - 6:05 am

You are a wonderful neighbor!

We had terrible blight this year ~ it is a huge challenge growing tomatoes here with all the pests and disease, and since we only grow heirlooms, well ~ it's just that much worse.  I am thinking of not growing any next year at all.  We have SO many wonderful farmers' markets, it seems a waste of all the grief for just the two of us.  Especially as I continue to work full time ~ maybe later.  We still grow asparagus, figs, kiwis, blueberries, blackberries, chives, etc. so I think I will stick to the easy items for now.

It is still WAY hot here (90 days, 70 nights) and it doesn't look to change right away.  I love the hot weather but am pawing through my sweaters to see what's what.  Have to check and see what I will be needing for my next trip to the resale shop (and what has to GO)!  We still have dozens of hummers and I am always sad to see their leave date approaching ~ mid-October and out.

Happy month of September and Happy Birthday month to YOU and ME!!

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99

Newest Members: