sp_TopicIcon
DECEMBER 2015
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2282 Posts
(Offline)
December 22, 2015 - 8:47 am

The first day of Winter and no snow.  Temps have been in the 40's and 50's with plenty of rain.  At least we don't have to shovel rain and the plants are getting their much needed moisture.  The worms are still doing their munching and pooping. Nights they go deeper, but during the day they are visible in the compost piles.  I do have the compost piles covered with clear plastic.  The piles still heat up a little if the sun shines.

I still have carrots, green onions and a few beets.  I even harvested Chickweed the other day for my salad.  It is on the south side of a slope in the wooded area.  I guess it is like a 'micro climate' there, quite protected.

I am growing a few seeds, Cilantro & Parsley.  I prepared one of my raised beds with hoops, in case I get the 'bug' to make a hoop house in Spring for early harvest of my greens.  I need to get a few seeds ordered.  Onion seeds should be started soon for my zone 5 garden.

For all of you that celebrate Christmas, I wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a very HAPPY & HEALTHY NEW YEAR.  Hugs to all of you.  

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
December 23, 2015 - 6:28 am

A wonderful happy Christmas to you, too!  

Yes, this is weird weather for "winter" but I am SO happy that the shortest day is now behind us once more.  I always feel uplifted when that is done and gone.  It's all good from here!  It is now almost 65 degrees outside, windy and warm ~ not a good thing.  We are expecting severe storms all day, so pray that we don't see a tornado!  Tomorrow is supposed to be stunning ~ party cloudy and 70, but then rain all rain for the next four days.  I would love to get out in the yard (to do what, I don't know) but it will be a squishy mess.  I haven't even put any suet cakes out for the birds yet, as it has been too warm.

Thank you for all that you do all year, Lark ~ I look at your site every single day and am always  excited to see new posts.  So thank you for a wonderful 365 ~ and ~ as Peter Frampton says "let's do it again"!!

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 99

Newest Members: