sp_TopicIcon
February 2018
RSS
CarolJean
central Wisconsin
105 Posts
(Offline)
February 4, 2018 - 8:57 pm

Hello Lark, it's been months since I've posted.  I always mean to but never get it done.  How has your water color classes gone? I've had 2 colds this winter; unusual for me.  Glad I'm retired and could just bundle up at home.

Fall clean up was a challenge this year; it didn't freeze until October and then it got cold and wet.  But that was followed by several nice weeks to work in the yard.  I didn't finish yard clean up until after Thanksgiving.  But I can start with weeding and dividing perennials as soon as spring arrives. 

I planted my first seeds yesterday - onions and sweet peppers.  Some bunching onions and Alisa Craig onions.  3 different peppers: Red Stuff pepper, Autumn Bell (red) pepper, and Cornito Giallo (yellow) pepper.  Gary at Rusted Garden grew Cornito Giallo last year and it did really well for him.   It is a All American Selection for 2017. Autumn Bell is seed from MI Gardener.  I ordered several packages of seed from him this year.

I don't plan to start my tomato seedlings until March.  I don't need 3 ft tall plants in May.  I also won't be growing as many tomatoes this year.  Last September I discovered tomatoes affect my blood sugar adversely.  This was after I managed to freeze and can 15 quarts of tomato/pasta sauce and 4 batches of salsa.  I shared with family and friends.

My goals are to get peas, potatoes, & onions in the garden early this spring. I had my best harvest of peas and onions last year.  I was pleased with my potatoes (even though I planted them quite late) and want to plant more this year and plant them earlier.

So February is here and the days are getting longer.  It's still cold but the sunshine is cheerful.  It'll feel more like spring is on the way once I have little green shoots growing!!

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2294 Posts
(Offline)
February 7, 2018 - 6:00 am

Good morning my friend. 

THANK YOU for motivating me to start my onion seeds and a few others. I am starting a few seeds each of tomato and peppers early.  I don't want a lot of BIG plants to bring in and out of the house for 3 months...too much work.  But a few are o.k. as I do want an earlier harvest than last year. I started them 3-25.  

I also like to follow the 'Rusted Gardener'.  I sometimes watch Luke. 

You would laugh at me if you could see me sitting out in the sun in 13F catching my natural vitamin D. LaughI take my hood down, push up my pant legs while sitting on the south side of the house.  I am so happy that the days are getting longer. 

I took an 8 week session of water color in Fall and now stopped for the winter season.  I don't like to drive in bad weather and here in Wisconsin that can be often.  I did like it.  I need to practice drawing first and then painting.  I need to 'make time' and learn to not be so critical of myself.  Meditation is helping me with 'self love'.Smile

I look forward to your upcoming gardening posts.  Stay healthy and happy my friend.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
105 Posts
(Offline)
February 7, 2018 - 9:33 pm

Lark, I admire how much you do to take care of yourself and improve your well being.  But yes, I don't think I will ever sit outside in the sun when it's less than 20 degrees and push up my pant legs.  I do spend more than an hour shoveling after each snow storm but I'm usually very bundled up.

What I thought of today was I have many tomato seeds from the last several years, could I share any with you?  I grew Sweet Million, Super Sweet 100, and Rapunzel cherry tomatoes last year and I have leftover seed of all of them.  I'm pretty sure you have the medium and large tomato varieties you prefer.  I did buy Amish Paste from MI Gardener this year and could share that also.  It's so hard for me to not grow many different varieties again this year but that's only foolish since I shouldn't eat them.  It makes the most sense to grow what I use and eat the most of - peas, onions, potatoes, green beans, carrots, kale, winter squash, and kohlrabi.

The weather report says you're going to get some snow Friday - Saturday; it's going to miss us entirely.  How much snow have you had this winter?

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2294 Posts
(Offline)
February 8, 2018 - 6:11 am

Good morning.  Yes, they are forecasting up to 9" of snow later today.  We have had probably a foot or two during the season BUT it has melted several times to expose the grass. Right now we have about 10".  Great plant coverage.

Thank you, I would like to try PATRICK'S Sweet Million.  He always raves about it and you said it was great also, right?  I promised myself I wouldn't plant so much this year.  It is always hard to pull out and toss the extra seed starts that germinated after we pick the hardest ones, RIGHT?  Especially when you don't know if you will lose some plants to disease or critters.  I would rather have too much than not enough.  Sharing is a good thing. But my husband says I don't need more to take care of.  :0) 

Take care, my friend.

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
105 Posts
(Offline)
February 8, 2018 - 2:35 pm

Hello,  I put some seeds in the mail for you today.  Yes, the Sweet Millions did well for me.  We have a good snow coverage for our gardens also.  I'm looking forward to the warmer temps we're supposed to get next week.

I found some itty bitty sprouts coming up for my bunching onions this morning.  So I set a grow light for them.  And so it starts!

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2294 Posts
(Offline)
February 11, 2018 - 10:43 am

Thank you, Carol Jean.  That was a speedy delivery.  I got them yesterday, Saturday.  I am starting a couple seeds today, using the PAPER TOWEL METHOD of SEED GERMINATION. 

I look forward to tasting my first Sweet Million.  Hugs to you!

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
105 Posts
(Offline)
February 11, 2018 - 8:35 pm

You are very welcome.  Yesterday my Allisa Craig onions started sprouting; many more today.  I visited my parents today and wasn't comfortable leaving the grow light on when I was going to be gone for 8 hours so I set seedlings in my south facing window.  Tonight I think I might see one little pepper sprouting.  Hopefully I have good germination.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

CarolJean: 105

Newest Members: