sp_TopicIcon
MARCH 2017
RSS
Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2233 Posts
(Offline)
March 1, 2017 - 7:29 am

Yes, yes, yes, the gardening season has started at my house.  Some of the greens I started on February 12 are doing nicely.  The great thing is that I did not plant too many seeds.  My goal is to do more succession planting. 

Here in Wisconsin we have not had sunshine this week.  Grey and cool.  But so far no more snow.  That might change today as here in Wisconsin March is suppose to come in LIKE A LION, 2-5 inches of snow predicted. Cry But I still can do seed planting and use my CLEAR TOTES as mini greenhouses which go outside on the deck if the temps are in the twenties and sunny.  If there is no sun and temps above freezing I still put the totes outside on the deck, tops closed.  My theory is grey light outside is still brighter than grey light inside. 

Have a great day my friends.  I am off to do my yoga.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

KeyWee54
Western Kentucky Zone 7a
616 Posts
(Offline)
March 2, 2017 - 5:08 am

Yay ~ spring!  We are having another one of those spring seasons where you don't know if you should buy toilet paper or get new glasses.  One week it's in the 70s and the next we have a couple of nights with frost.  Of course, everything is starting to pop up, leaf out, and our spring flowering trees are beautiful, but then they all struggle with the cold nights.  

Our garden centers are starting to open up and already have a few hardy trees and shrubs for sale.  There are TWO gardening seminars this weekend, so you can tell that the excitement is brewing.  It looks like the hummingbirds are starting to make landfall along the gulf coast, so that is great news too.  All in all, yes ~ it's almost here!

We have had NO snow (not a flake) all winter, so it's been an easy one for us.  Plenty of rain though, so I don't think we're behind on moisture.  A little snow will be good for you ~ insulation.  I need to think about starting some seeds this weekend, and taking some spring cuttings from my HUGE nashiki willow.  Always something to do in the garden.

CarolJean
central Wisconsin
57 Posts
(Offline)
March 3, 2017 - 10:05 am

Spring is sprouting at my house also.  About two weeks ago Wisconsin had temps in the 50's for more than a week and it seemed spring was coming early. (I still feel we will have an early spring even though this morning was very cold.) So I decided to start my tomato seedlings even though I had thought to wait until March this year.  I planted them Feb 22 and they were coming up about 5 days later!  I planted too many last year and they became a big job to pot up and keep thriving but I was able to share many and that was enjoyable.  So I made a list of people I could share plants with this year and I have 66 cells planted this year; the number is that large because I planted 2 for every one I hope will make it to maturity.  I'm new to growing my own plants and don't trust my level of success yet.  Also the Master Gardeners have a plant sale in mid-May and I can donate my extras to them. 

I really want to preserve more tomatoes this year and I was excited to try some varieties recommended by other gardeners.  For a salad tomato I have Sweet Million cherry tomatoes that Patrick (One yard revolution) has beautiful success with and Rapunzel that Ray at Praxxus grew last year.  Mainly I want to grow some good paste tomatoes to make more salsa and sauce so I researched and decided to grow Opalka. The first seed company didn't have that variety so I also have Oxheart.  I also wanted an early slicing tomato; I planted Better Bush and Legend. Finally for a large tomato I have Cherokee Purple and Big Beef.  One seed company sent a bonus packet so I also have Hawaiian Pineapple tomato.  That one should be interesting.  It has been a challenge to find places to plant one of each variety in my small garden with a few extras paste tomatoes.  I like Patrick's thinking to plant them not all in one spot so diseases don't spread as easily and don't ruin your entire crop.

I also started 6 red peppers and some cilantro that I plan to give to my hairdresser.  I'm one of the people that cilantro tastes like soap.

I planted some of my saved perennial flower seeds in plastic milk cartons and placed them outside.  They probably should have gone out 4 weeks earlier but I thought it was worth a try.

This is more of a seedling post than a "March" post, but it's so exciting to have little green plants growing. They are in a grow box now (fashioned after Gary at Rusted Garden suggestions) but will move them to clear totes (Lark's very successful method)  outside when it gets warm this weekend.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble.  cj

Lark
Wisconsin zone 4/5
2233 Posts
(Offline)
March 4, 2017 - 7:05 am

WOW Carol.  You have been a busy lady.  It sure feels good having started our seeds. Looking forward to the next couple of days with the temps rising a bit.  Yesterday I had my 2 totes outside, covers on, with the temps in the low 20's. They were toasty warm in their mini greenhouse.  I need to do some transplanting within the next couple days. Some in pots in the clear totes and some in the hoop house.

I watch and follow the same people you do on YouTube.  They are all great gardeners on a budget. They always have helpful ideas, tips and techniques. 

This year I have promised myself not to plant too many seeds.  I agree with you saying it is a lot of work to keep them thriving for several months.  It is very nice of you to share. But I will have much less to share this year, but still some. 

I use to think Cilantro tasted like soap BUT not anymore.  I eat usually have some daily.

So nice to hear from you.  Please keep us posted on your 2017 gardening journey.

Dousman, Wisconsin, zone 5

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
All RSS Show Stats

Administrators:
Lark

Top Posters:

KeyWee54: 616

davsher: 284

Im A Dork Fish: 174

Brenda: 129

HSwantabe: 115

GardenLiv: 96